Thursday, June 18, 2009

Take Nothing for Granted

Water In and Water Out
Yesterday morning I toured the Water and Waste Water Treatment Facilities for the City of Grand Marais. Supervisor Tom Nelson hosted the very educational tour by explaining step by step how water moves through both the Water Treatment Plant and the Waste Water Treatment Facility. I've generally been one of those folks who never thought too much about how our water is treated, so I learned a lot. I was impressed by the very meticulous and necessary scientific procedures, as well as the mechanical expertise involved in keeping these systems up and running, clean & safe.

I appreciate the work that Nelson, Steve DuChien, Neil Hansen and Colin Vos do to ensure public safety and meet strict government regulations. From now on, I'll take nothing for granted when I take a safe drink of water from my faucet, wash a load of clothes, or drain the bathtub.